12 April 2014

Full Fish Moon and Abundance Wish Box



This beautiful full moon has several names. They include: Pink Moon,  Fish Moon,  Sprouting Grass Moon, and the Egg Moon. There are other names, but these are the most well known. When I pick a name to use for my Full Moon blog, I look for one that I can easily pair with a story, or a spell, or a craft........or a blend of all. I honestly had a hard time choosing a name this time. In the end I decided to go with Fish Moon. It has a Native American story, I can pair it with abundance. I mean....Pink Moon isn't the easiest thing to work with.

The reason the Native Americans called this the Full Fish Moon was because of a fish known as the Shad. Shad arrived when they were reaching the very end of the food stores. So, the arrival was met with happiness and celebration from the people. It marked the return of Spring.

Swimming from the ocean to the upper parts of rivers to spawn, they are similar to salmon. Shad are sweet in flavor, but they have over 700 bones! The Algonquin gave the fish a name because of the excessive bones, "porcupine fish turned inside out".

According to the legend, the porcupine was complaining to the Great Spirit about his life. As a reply the Great Spirit turned him inside out and threw him into the river! He then turned into a fish, the Shad.

I also wanted to show you this beautiful craft. I ran across it while I was thinking about what I wanted to do. I am planning on making myself a couple of these. This site has excellent photos of the process. I think those of you that are crafty will love it. It would also make a lovely little wish box.

This would be a good craft to make with a child. It can help with manifestation skills. To use the box after you have finished making it, just write your wish on a piece of paper and hold it in your hand and "pour" your wish into your wish paper. See the wish manifest itself out. Place the wish in the box and forget about it. If you would like you can add some stones that help to attract what pertains to your wishes. For instance, ruby can be put in there for health, malachite for abundance, etc.

Okay, my craft is just a wooden box that I have covered in clay. I added some stones and a cloissone fish to the top.


I started with just a simple wood box. Nothing fancy or expensive.

I cover it entirely in clay and add my stones and decorations to the top.


Top view before baking.

I pop it in the oven at 250 degrees for 20 minutes.



                                                
I now basecoat the clay in gray and add little clay "pebbles" in different sizes. 
I bake it again for 20 minutes.


Now I paint the pebbles just random colors. I used blue, purple, pink, flesh and brown. I left a few white. I also painted the spirals with a pearl. When I was finished I coated the top with a glitter. It's nothing fancy, but I think it turned out very cute.



I hope you enjoyed the story and the craft. Brightest blessings to you and please enjoy the beautiful full moon and the lunar eclipse!

Here's an added link about the lunar eclipse:













No comments: